John Deere 4066R : Specs, Problems, Attachments, Prices
The John Deere 4066R is a 4R series compact utility tractor, first produced in about 2014. It has a 2.1 litre, 4 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine, with a power output of about 65/66 hp, and a PTO of approx 52/54 hp. It has a fuel capacity of 13/14 gallons.
It has hydrostatic transmission, power steering and a wet disc braking sysytem.
John Deere 4066R Specifications
All details relating to specifications, parts and attachments are approximate and should be checked with the manufacturer before any purchase or repair is made.
This in part is because changes can be made to a particular model over the years of production, and also a number of websites carry detailed technical information, which can sometimes slightly differ.
When checking exact specifications for a John Deere 4066R, there are a number of areas to check :
John Deere 4066R engine
- Engine grows HP at 3200 rpm
- PTO horsepower at 3200 rpm
- Fuel tank capacity
John Deere 4066R drive train
- Drive method
- PTO– rear
- PTO – mid
John Deere 4066R hydraulics
- Pump output
- Three point hitch
- Lift capacity at 24 inches behind pin
John Deere 4066R tire size
- Front – turf/bar/industrial
- Rear – turf/bar/industrial
- Travelling speed – forward
- Travelling speed – reverse
John Deere 4066R Dimensions
- Length with three point hitch
- Height with ROPS
- Ground clearance
- Tread – front
- Tread – rear
- Turning radius
- Tractor weight
John Deere 4066R backhoe specifications (if appropriate)
- Bucket cylinder digging force
- Dipperstick cylinder digging force
- Boom swing mechanism
- Shipping weight
- Transport height
- Loading height
- Digging depth
- Swing pivot to rear axle centre line
- Reach from swing pivot
- Buckets rotation
- Swing arc
- Angle of departure
John Deere 4066R Loader specifications (if applicable)
- Maximum lift height to bucket pivot pin
- Dumping clearance
- Dumping reach at maximum lift height
- Maximum dump angle
- Reach with bucket on ground
- Bucket roll back angle
- Digging depth
- Bucket width
- Lift capacity
- Breakout force
- Raising time/lowering time – with and without load
- Bucket roll back time/dumping time
John Deere 4066R Problems
Problems can occur with any tractor, either new or secondhand. Sometimes these problems are to do with defects in the machine, or with parts and sometimes they are to do with poor maintenance or simple checks and remedies.
Below are listed some of the most common problems with the John Deere ????? tractor, and some general ideas as to how these problems can normally be dealt with.
4066R – Tractor won’t start
Check the following
- Check the transmission gear shift lever. It may not be in the right position. Place the range shift lever into neutral and check the engine throttle lever is not put forward. Move the throttle half or full impulse.
- Check and see if the battery connection is loose or corroded. Check connections and retighten it necessary
- Check and see if the fuel shutoff valve is closed.
- Check and see if the fuel is either stale, or at an improper fuel level. Drain the tank if necessary of all fuel and refill.
- Check if the engine oil viscosity is correct or not, and if not completely change the oil in the tractor.there
- Check and see if the fuel filter is plugged, and if necessary place.
- check if the air intake filter is plugged, and if it is clean or if necessary replace the air filter elements.
- Checked to see if any of the fuses have blown and if necessary replace one or all of them.
4066R – Tractor won’t start, just clicks
Check the following
- Could be potential battery issues. Check that all the motor and battery connections are clean and tight.
- Check the battery voltage and its holding power and replace it necessary.
4066R – Tractor cranks but will not start
- The fuel may not be getting to the cylinder. check the fuel level, the shutoff valve and the fuel filter.
- Check the air filter. It may be too cold for the cylinder to combust mixture of air and fuel.
- Move the throttle back to idle and then half throttle and attempt to restart
Starting diesel engines in cold weather
- Use proper seasonal diesel blends. Winter blends have certain additives to ensure that they remain liquid when it is cold.
- Watch and check for bio diesel percentages
- idle the engines for a time before using, this increases its efficiency and range.
- Maintain the cooling system properly. Check the overall level and quality of coolant.
- Use various engine starting aids if necessary. Some of the most common are glow plugs, intake preheaters and block heaters.
- if the engine fails to start, this could be due to the cold start system malfunctioning, the fuel injectors may be dirty or there may be a faulty switch.
4066R Engine problems.
Either the engine went start, or it is hard to start or start and then stalls. Check the following :
- There may be no fuel flow. check the tank, hoses, feel shutoff valve and fuel filter. Make sure they are all functioning properly and that there are no leaks from any of them.
- The exhaust smoke may be black. This may be due to too much oil, a clogged air filter or dirty fuel.
- The exhaust smoke may be blue or white. This may be due to fuel inside the muffler, a clogged fuel injection nozzle, poor quality fuel, a defective thermostat or that may be sediment in the fuel which may also be stale.
4066R Engine may be overheating.
Check the following
- The engine may be overloaded, in human terms too much may be asked of it. Lighten the load or shift to a lower gear
- The coolant level may be low check and see if it needs refilling and also check the hoses and radiator to make sure there are no links or loose connections.
- There may be a blockage in the coolant system that is affecting its flow. Best thing to do is to completely flush the whole coolant system and replace as necessary.
- The fan belt may be loose or damaged. It should be easy to check for wear and tear and any tension and replace as necessary.
- The radiator core or screens and dirty and simply cleaning them maybe enough to solve the problem.
4066R Steering issues
Normally the steering either feels a bit loose or may pull to one side.
- Check the steering fluid. Check the hydraulic oil level, and check for any leaks.
- Tires may be a bit low or flat. Check for low tire pressure and reinflate all replaced if needed.
- The steering linkage may be in need of lubrication.
- If there is too much play in the steering wheel, and none of the above again difference them advice and assistance should be sought from the nearest Kubota dealership, as this could be a real safety concern.
The manual for the John Deere 4066R is likely to have a section entitled troubleshooting or something similar. This information is also often found on a number of major websites either entitled troubleshooting, resources or FAQ.
It’s mainly contains questions and answers on common problems and questions relating to John Deere machines generally can be a really useful source of advice.
Below are some of the main areas that are covered :
- How to obtain replacement owners manual or parts catalogue
- Free start-up checks. This can include removing debris from surrounding areas, checking oil levels and using fresh fuel.
- Follow all safety recommendations
- A recommended maintenance schedule
- How to change oil
- How to clean machine
- How to find the right spark plug
- How to lubricate gears
- How to maintain pistons and cylinders
- How to maintain air filters
- How to store when not in use
- Tire maintenance
- Which attachments are available
- How to obtain a wiring diagram
- Tracking adjustment if machine is putting to one side
- Type of fuel
- Warranty information, normally the type of coverage available depending if manufacturer or dealership warranty, and the length of the warranty as well.
- PTO problems
- Loader problems
- Steering box issues
- Starting problems
- How to fix attachments
- Optional extras as listed below
- Engine block heater
- Work lights, front and rear enabling high visibility at night
- Back buzzer
- Double acting remote hydraulic control valve
- Three point hitch
- Top and filter kit
John Deere 4066R maintenance and servicing
One of the best ways to prevent a lot of common problems is to make sure that the John Deere 4066R tractor is regularly serviced, and all the recommended checks are carried out in accordance with the schedule laid out in the sservice manual.
Check the owners service and parts manual for full details
- Check all the service intervals. These are normally something like daily checks every 50 hours, every 100 hours, every 200 hours, every 400 hours, every 800 hours, every 15:00 hours, every 3000 hours, every one year, every two years and service as required.
- Maintenance of loader, including daily checks, lubrication and tire inflation.
- How best to store tractor, in terms of inside/outside, draining of fuel, maintenance of battery and electrical systems etc.
John Deere 4066R and Biodiesel Fuels.
Many people like to use bio diesel fuels in their John Deere 4066R, but it is an area that is slightly complicated. Anyone wanting to use this type of fuel should look into it carefully, check the nature of biodiesel fuels, check manufacturers advice on whether or not to use it into engines and check potential problems it may cause. Below is a list of some of the things to consider.
- What is biodiesel
- Is it safe to use biodiesel in 4066R engines – check with the manufacturer
- What are the advantages of biodiesel
- Biodiesel fuel storage guidelines
- How does using biodiesel fuel affect the engine warranty
- Potential drawbacks to using biodiesel fuel
- Cold weather flow degradation
- Stability and storage issues
- Possible filter restriction and plugging
- Possible fuel leakage through seals and hoses
- Possible reduction of service life of engine components
- Possible coaching/block injector nozzles
- Possible crankcase oil pollution
- Potential corrosion of fuel injection system
- Possible seizure of internal components
- Possible formation of sludge and sediments
- Possible thermal oxidation of fuel at elevated temperatures
- Possible steel and gasket material degradation
- Possible compatibility issues with other materials used in fuel handling distribution and storage equipment
- Possible reduction in water separator efficiency
- Potential high acid levels within fuel system
- Potential damage to paint is exposed to bio diesel
- Emissions – check engine year of manufacture
- Emissions – how to find engine emissions certificates
- Emissions – check engines horsepower rating.
Buying a second hand John Deere 4066R checklist
Many problems arise with a John Deere 4066R when it is brought second-hand. Below is a checklist of things to look out for when buying a used second-hand machine which if followed, may help to alleviate some of the more common problems.
- Check vehicle documents and service book, warranty documents, year of manufacture, any chassis number and any outstanding finance.
- Check tires and wheels for wear and tear. Make sure the tires are the same type on any one axle, check for rim damage and check we’ll attachment for weights
- Check gearbox, especially if any grinding noises during steering. Check differential lock engages and disengages, functional rear and front power takeoff, PTO shaft condition and any unusual noises.
- Check lifting mechanism, the hydraulic pump system, any hoses and cylinders
- Check all electrical systems, make sure it is a functional lighting system and test all electrical elements
- Engine and battery – check for leaks in the unusual noises when starting or idling, any abnormal exhaust colouration. Check battery maintenance and emission control
- Oils and liquids – check for any oil leaks and liquid levels, check engine oil, coolant, hydraulic oil, servo oils and gearbox
- Cabin and visibility – condition of drivers seat, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems, display indicators working, front and rear windows free of damage and check windscreen wipers and mirrors are working properly.
- Overall condition – check the signs of repairs, proof that spare parts and accessories are original, check for any corrosion or rust and any unusual alterations to paintwork.
John Deere 4066R Attachments / Implements
There are a number of attachmentsavailable for John Deere tractors, a general list of which is published below, and more detailed information beneath.
All Purpose Seeder
Post Hole Digger
Blades / Box Scraper
Disc Mower Conditioners
Plain Disc Mowers
John Deere 4066R Implements
A G 15 series arena graders
BB 12 series box scrapers
BB 05 series box scrapers
CA05 series core aerators
CA15 series core aerators
DH 10 series disk harrows
DRG drag harrows
G505 series grading scrapers
third function valves
SGC0554 claw grapples
SGC0548 claw grapples
LR 16 series landscape rakes
LR05 series landscape rakes
MP 10 and MP 20 series mold board
SA 20 series post hole digger
HD 25 series post hole diggers
PD 10 series post hole diggers
RP16 series rear blades
RB 15 series rear blades
RB05 series rear blades
SF 25 series scarifiers
SBR series seed bed rollers
SP 20 series soil pulverisers
FDR 16 series grooming mowers
QH 10 series quick hitches
QH05 quick hitches
QH 15 series quick hitches
BSR 10 series bail Spears
BS and BSE 30/40/50 series bail Spears
BS and BSE 10/20 series bail Spears
CB05 series combination bucket
PFL 20 series pallet forks
P F10 and PF 20 series pallet forks
WC1504 wood chippers
WC 1503 woodchipers
RCR 12 series rotary cutters
RTA 12 series rotary tillers
RTR 12 series rotary tillers
RTR 05 series rotary tillers
FPS series food plot seeders
PDS series pull type spreaders
FSP series spreaders
STB05 series snow trip blades
WB 10 series weight box
SPL 05 series loader Mount Snow
SB 10 series snowblowers
Swift connect backhoe
John Deere 4066R for Sale/Prices
Buying any new John Deere Tractor
From a John Deere dealership – think in terms of buying a new car or truck – drill down to MSRP, dealership mark up, discounts both national and local.
Do negotiating online if possible, as this gives you greater control over the sales process. Check what attachments are included, and offers on servicing and maintenance, after sales help such as transportation etc.
Check different sources of credit
Get quotes from different dealerships, including outside the area you live in, competition is fierce. If buying out of state, check shipping costs and confirm they are included.
Do negotiating by email if possible- thsi measn you have everything in writing, and gives you more time to consider your options.
Buying any used John Deere Tractor
Think in terms of buying a used auto or truck, both in terms of price and who to buy from.
Research current used prices on line – they will vary depending on the year of manufacture, engine size, how many hours it has been used for, what type of work it has been used for, and what type of ground it has been used on.
Decide on how much you are willing to pay, and whether to buy privately or through a John Deere dealership – privately includes on line dealers and auction sites. Prices will probably be lower than a dealership, but will also probbaly offer less protection.
If buying from a John Deere dealership, check if they know the history of the tractor -this can be really usefulin confirming its hours, servicing history and work record – type of work and land type of useage.
If out of manufacturers warranty, check what warrnty the dealership will offer, and if it includes / excludes tires etc.
Try and negotiate online if possible, and by email for reasons as above. Also research different sources of credit, Including John Deere Financial if available.
John Deere 4066R – Craigslist
Craigslist is a huge and popular marketplace for a wide range of agricultural products, including tractors such as the John Deere 4066R.
The advantage is the ability to search locally by state, and by county. This means the practicality of inspecting the tractor is much greater, and also finding out its history and work detail.
The downside is that searching by locality limits the number of tractors that may be available, although if someone is willing to buy out of state then it broadens the search area significantly.
John Deere 4066R Owners Manual
The owners manual and the service manual for the John Deere 4066R are normally quite easy to obtain. If buying a new tractor then the manual will come with it, or should come with it, either as a hardback book, or as a downloadable PDF
If buying a used tractor and the handbook or manual is not available, then you can normally be obtained either from a dealership, or a number of sites online that offer it either as a free download, or available at a nominal charge.
Owners manuals and service manuals can also often be obtained from sites such as eBay and Amazon.
FAQ – TBA
John Deere 4066R Reviews – Common Questions
There are numerous reviews available online, ranging from full-length video reviews on sites such as YouTube, through to discussion forums such as tractor by net. the value of video reviews ifsthey show the tractor at its best, as most of these reviews are done by dealerships, or very enthusiastic customers.
Discussion forums tend to be more focused and constructively critical. They are a wide source of valuable information and normally have most issues concerning this tractor covered already, or have a wide range of users who are willing to the help with most detailed problems and questions
John Deere 4066R,
John Deere 4066R Specs,
John Deere 4066R Price,
John Deere 4066R Accessories,
John Deere 4066R – HST,
John Deere 4066R Engine,
John Deere 4066R Reviews,
John Deere 4066R Problems,
John Deere 4066R – Craigslist,
John Deere 4066R Backhoe,
John Deere 4066R Weight,
John Deere 4066R Instrument Panel,
John Deere 4066R Engine Problems,
John Deere 4066R Starting Problems,
John Deere 4066R Steering Problems,